BASL and BLTG Dinners
BASL Annual Dinner
This years BASL Annual Dinner will be held in The Great Hall at Warwick Castle on Thursday 21st September.
The Great Hall is the largest room in the Castle and continues to be the one visitors enjoy spending the most time exploring. In the early middle ages, straw and dirt covered the floor of the Great Hall. Burning in the centre of the room would have been a large fire, its smoke turning the air acrid. The only natural light filtered through narrow lancet windows. It was in here that the nobility ate, drank and slept.
The Great Hall as it stands today was first constructed in the 14th century. It was rebuilt in the 17th century and then restored in 1871 after it had been badly damaged by a fire which swept through part of the Castle.
Set against the wall is the magnificent Kenilworth buffet, made in oak by local craftsmen for the Great Exhibition of 1851. In the Great Hall is a huge cauldron known as ‘Guy’s Porridge Pot’, named after the legendary Saxon hero, Guy of Warwick. About 500 years old, it was used to cook stew for the castle’s garrison of soldiers.
Other exciting artefacts include various suits of armour and two pristine pieces of equestrian armour. There is a miniature suit of armour which is believed to have been made for the four year old son of Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester. He died at the age of six.
There is a maximum of 120 places and tickets will available on a first come first served basis at £50 per head, including return transfer from the conference venue.
BASL Annual Dinner
This year's BLTG Transplant Dinner will be held at Nailcote Hall on Tuesday 19th September.
Nailcote Hall is a small English stately home, built in 1640 just before the start of the English Civil War. Its name is believed to be derived from the Norman French word for armourer. It is thought the land may have been granted to the first owner for assistance given during the conquest of William the Conqueror in the eleventh century. The house was damaged during the English Civil War by Cromwell’s troops before the assault on Kenilworth Castle. A bill was sent to the Parliamentarians which, perhaps surprisingly, was paid. During its long history, the house passed into other hands, mainly through marriage. The Lant family made it their home for some 300 years. Over the centuries the property has been restored and altered. When restoration work was carried out in the recent years, a priest hole was discovered between the breakfast room, now the Oak Room restaurant and the hall. In 1780 the house was altered and the Georgian wing was added.
In 1984 the hall was opened as a restaurant and won its guide listings the following year. In 1989 a new extension to the hotel was opened providing an additional twenty bedrooms and a new function room and library.
The present owner bought the house in 1991 and two years later work began to add a new leisure complex to the old wall garden area.
Places are limited and tickets will available on a first come first served basis at £50 per head, including return transfer from the conference venue.
Back to Top